Friday, September 12, 2008
All Faiths Gathered Last Night (including some of us No faiths)
We sang, we listened, we ate, we talked.
In other words, we acted like Americans. The highlight for me was when an Iraqi-American engineer said "I'm not objecting to American policy, I'm criticising it. As an American, that's my right. We must be able to agree about that."
On to the game. . .answer key, as always, will be up at Harp and Sword
*bonus feature* I have a great YouTube on deck. As soon as somebody guesses the first song, I'll put it up.
Nobody got "Galway Girl" by Steve Earle.
this video shows what you're missing.
Well, I took a stroll on the old long walk of a day -i-ay-i-ay
I met a little girl and we stopped to talk of a fine soft day -i-ay-i-ay
And I ask you, friend, whats a fella to do?
'Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue.
2. U.S. Blues named "If I Had My Way (Sampson and Delilah)" by The Blind Reverend Gary Davis
(trivia note: in the 50's during a civil rights demonstration in washington dc, in front of the capitol building, The Rev. Davis was arrested by the police because of the refrain of this song:
If I had my way, if I had my way
If I had my way in this wicked world
I would tear this building down. . .
they said it was a terrorist threat.)
You can read about Sampson, you can read about his birth
He was the strongest man that ever walked the earth.
One day Old Sampson was a walkin' around
And he spied a jawbone just a laying on the ground
3. Nobody got "Barflies at the Beach" Louis Prima (that's no surprise at all)
All right all you Swing Cats, let's try somethin' new
Drag your elbows off the Bar and your can from the old bar stool
There's a place called the Ocean probably heard about it in school
They ain't got no Martinis there but man, its really cool
4. biffy56 - Great call - David Bromberg "Bullfrog Blues" Bromberg is a player's player. Most guitar slingers would kill for chops like his
Did'ja ever wake up with bullfrogs on your, bullfrogs on your, I mean, mind?
Did'ja ever wake up with bullfrogs on your mind?
Well, ya know good people that's a sure sign,
You got bullfrogs on your mind.
5. Amuseinc gets partial credit for recognising this as a Gram Parson's Song, full point still available for the title Myrtle Hussain June gets all the points. Emmylou Harris singing Gram Parson's "She"
She, she came from the land of the cotton
A land that was nearly forgotten by everyone
And she, she worked and she slaved so hard
A big ol' field was her backyard
6. "Small Fry" Hoagy Charmicheal
Small fry, hangin' round the poolroom
Small fry, you should be in the schoolroom
My my. My my, what's in that cigarette?
You ain't growed up all high and mighty yet.
7. Rosali scores first! Amy Winehouse - "Fuck Me Pumps"
When you walk in the bar, and you dressed like a star,
Rockin' your fuck me pumps.
And the men notice you, with your Gucci bag crew,
Can't tell who he's lookin' to.
8. U.S. Blues was also close enough to "Stag O'Lee" Mississippi John Hurt
Might have been a rainy mornin', might have been a rainy night
Stag O'Lee and Billy Lyons had them a terrible fight
And he's a bad man
Mean, cruel Stag O'Lee
(to make this one semi fair you should guess whose version this is too)
9. "This Is A Rebel Song" Sinead O'Connor
I love you my hard Irishman
Your rage is like a fist in my womb
Can't you forgive what you think I've done
And love me - I'm your woman
10. "Night Rider's Lament" written by Micheal Burton (not Ian Tyson but no points off) the version I was listening to was by Jerry Jeff Walker - Picked by Mrytle Hussain June (I'm surprised you didn't guess #1 too)
One night while I was out ridin'
Graveyard shift midnight till dawn
The moon was bright, for my reading light
For a letter from an old friend back home.