A Brief Recitation of the Game:
I have my iPod on random I take the first four lines of the song, and you try to guess it.
Not that tough ay? Answer key is at Harp and Sword.
1. Katster nails "Helmethead" by our favorite Newfie band Great Big Sea.
I was just seventeen, when I made the AHL
I couldn't skate in junior, but my fists rang like a bell.
I'll never win a title, and I'll never win the cup,
But when it comes to ladies, I've had the best of luck.
2. Amuseinc identifies "Magnificat" Andrew Gold, a long time composer and arranger friend of Linda Ronstadt took the latin text, and adapted a gregorian plainsong into a beautiful and haunting recitative for exquisite soprano (Linda) and harp (moi). We were performing this at a fund raiser for the Tuscon Boy's Choir.
Magnificat anima mea Dominum,
et exsultavit spiritus meus in Deo salutari meo.
Quia respexit humilitatem ancillae suae.
Ecce enim ex hoc beatam me dicent omnes generationes.
(My soul doth magnify the Lord
And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior
For he hath regarded the lowliness of his handmaiden
For, behold, from henceforth, all generations shall call me blessed)
3. "Roots Rebel" from our friends at RAnCid
Took the 60 bus out of downtown Cambell Ben Zanatto
he was on there he was waitin' for me
all the punk rockers and the moon stompers
are out on the corners where they're sparing for change
4. La Mer: Charles Trenet (you probably would remember this as "Beyond The Sea")
Qu'on voit danser le long des golfes clairs
A des reflets d'argent
Des reflets changeants
Sous la pluie
5. Tata Scores First! "Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters" Elton John and Bernie Taupin
And now I know
Spanish harlem are not just pretty words to say
I thought I knew
But now I know that rose trees never grow in new york city
6. JerryN gets a full point for knowing that "Accidently, Like a Martyr" is a Warren Zevon Song, even though the version I was listening too was a live bootleg of Linda Ronstadt
The phone don't ring, no no
And the sun refused to shine
Never thought I'd have to pay so dearly
For what was already mine
For such a long, long time
7. JerryN also scores with "Under African Skies" off Paul Simon's brilliant "Graceland"
Joseph's face was black as night
The pale yellow moon shone in his eyes
His path was marked
By the stars in the southern hemisphere
8. Darm gets this one "The Wreck of the Barbie Ferrari" John Hiatt
Saturday night he comes home stinking
Sunday morning she wakes up thinking and thinking and thinking and thinking
Does she need to get the kids dressed to go to church
He's pulled a shotgun out of the lurch
9. Santa Claustrophobia scores next "California Uber Alles" - - - Dead Kennedys
I am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles
And never frowns
Soon I will be president...
10. This one's totally unfair. You'll never get it, unless there are more bootlegs of this floating around.
If I had a nickle for each time I've been let down
I'd have enough money to at least leave this town
When things fall apart, all the plans and dreams end
The one that hurts most is the one you called "friend"
My life's been ungraceful, I'm mostly unfaithfull
I sold my pure dreams like a street prostitute
My friends are all schemers, pimps, hustlers and dreamers
Valium's my name, dissillusion's my game
I look back on my life I see few pretty scenes
A road full of blues, broken hearts, broken dreams
All the times when I've felt like a fool, like a slave
When it seemed my life's work's just been digging my grave
Now it's goodbye, adios corazon
What good is crying if you're crying alone?
I've given inches, they're taking yards
I've paid my ante, shit, show me some cards
I wrote that, this demo from the mid eighties bubbled up. Sometimes Random's a fucking bitch yo.
The debate's are over, what are your plans for the weekend? What's been on your playlist.
Are you doing anything to help elect Barack Obama? What's on ya'll's minds and stuff?
Consider this an open thread.
I have big stuff type news that I need to keep under wraps until the middle of next week sometime. But, it's exciting and fun all at the same time. My sister (Dani's Mum) and I are going to go see Oliver Stone's "W" tomorrow. Expect a report. Stone seems to me to be the type of film maker who either makes a gem or a turd. Not a lot of in between room for mediocre effort.
Friday, October 17, 2008
The Minstrel Boy 10:13 AM