Friday, September 26, 2008
Answer Key at Harp and Sword
1. Jude gets "Oh Mary, Don't You Weep" version here was from Bruce Springsteen. I have a very early version by The Reverend Gary Davis.
Moses stood on the Red Sea shore
Smack that water with a 2x4
Pharoh's army been drownded
Oh, Mary don't you weep.
2. Myrtle Hussain June Scores big on "Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burning"
'cept it's the Reverend Gary Davis, not Steve Earle, although I bet he could sing the living shit out of this one. I am shocked, shocked, that she didn't guess number 7. I figured that one was right in her wheelhouse.
Brother, don't you stop prayin'
Brother don't you stop prayin'
Because our work is almost done.
3. "Sub-Mission" The Sex Pistols point to Patrick
I'm on a submarine mission for you baby
I feel the way you were going
I picked you up on my tv-screen
I feel your undercurrent flowing
4. "You Came A Long Way From St. Louis" Peggy Lee, D. Potter Scores!
You came a long way from St. Louis, you climbed the ladder of success,
I've seen the town and country cars that were parked out in front of your fancy address.
You came a long way from St. Louis, you broke a lotta hearts between,
I've seen a gang of gloomy gals who were doing alright till you came on the scene.
5. "Zombie Jamboree" Kingston Trio, Rockapella, King Sonny, The Ledbetters, a whole raft of folks did this one. I was listening to Harry Belafonte's Point D. Potter again.
Zombie jamboree taking place in the New York cemetary
Zombie jamboree taking place Long Island cemetary
Zombies from all parts of the island come, some of them are great calypsonians
The lead singer make him rhyme and all of them zombies jump in time
6. Carrie Newcomer "A Mean Kind of Justice" Carrie is an amazing talent. She writes compelling songs and sings them with clarity and conviction. I'd play with her just for the hell of it. (although union rules and my agent make me charge scale)
There's a ring around the moon,
There's a chill in the air.
There's a mean kind of justice,
Coming down coming down.
7. "Leavin' Louisiana in the Broad Daylight" Oak Ridge Boys
Mary took to running with a traveling man,
Left her Momma cryin' with her head in her hands
Such a sad case, so broken hearted
She said "Momma I got to go, got to get out of here"
8. "I Don't Care" the Immortal Ramones. . .Sean Carrol scores.
I don't care
I don't care
I don't care
About this world
9. "For You" Bruce Springsteen "Greetings From Asbury Park" point amuseinc
Princess cards she sends me with her regards
barroom eyes shine vacancy, to see her you gotta look hard
Wounded deep in battle, I stand stuffed like some soldier undaunted
To her Cheshire smile. I'll stand on file, she's all I ever wanted.
10. Phoenix Rising scores on "Gospel Plow" my version was Sweet Honey in the Rock, an amazing group. They do some astonishing harmonies.
Mary wore three links of chain,
Every link was Jesus name,
Keep your hand on that plow, hold on,
Oh, Lord, Oh, Lord,
Keep your hand on that plow, hold on.
I'm scheduled to play at my Mom's church on Sunday. I'm backing a boy soprano from Mexicali on the harp while he sings Gunoud's Ave Maria. If you've never heard a boy soprano singing, you're missing out on one of the absolutely purest musical tones in existence. I'm looking forward to it.
Great Job Ya'll.